Monday, July 13, 2009

The Bug's Room AKA, the Decorating Cents Room

My daughter has one of my favorite rooms in our house, not that she sleeps in it - she's bunking with her brother for a while but I digress.

We completed this room for under $500, hence "The Decorating Cents Room."

Here is the "before" as in before we moved in... How the old owners had it.


And here is what we did for the first few months we lived here, just to warm it up with what she had from our town house we transitioned her to the big girl room she has now.





So here is the after:

Seen above:
Dresser from Ikea, originally a honey pine piece that was slightly damaged, got it for $199. We sanded, primed and painted it white. (it came in white, but in a laquer finish that I HATED)

Valances $8 - made myself from some Rasberry Chambray fabric I got at JoAnn's.

Bookcase - $70 from Ikea, we covered the back panel with pink wrapping paper to give it more pop. (The unit came in white.)




Seen above, nothing new. The quilt rack was from our living room and the quilt we had from the town house... cost - $0



Seen above:
I covered the memory board from her shelf that we'd had from the townhouse with the same window treatment fabric and some scrap ribbon - cost : $2 or less.

The items on the memory board... we'll they are memories, including her baptism dress. I love that dress...


Seen above:
Bed: Frame from Craigs list, $50. Originally it was a rough pine like the stuff you see from "this end up" we sanded, primed and painted it white. Mattress was bought new for $75 on clearance.

Side table: Ikea, unfinished table $19... sanded, primed and you guessed it... painted white.

Bedding: Sheets and comforter set bought at homegoods for $40 total, on clearance. Pillows made from pillow forms and scrap fabric. Cost $0.

Also seen throughout the room, the quotes, lady bugs and flowers. I painted those by hand. I pulled the colors and shapes from her quilt.

Plus other random accessories including storage boxes that were under $50.

Total cost: $438, many weekends planning, painting and assembling... and a whole lot of love. Priceless.

Thanks for stopping by!!!

7 comments:

  1. love the handpainting! very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet room ~ I love the color and the words on the wall. I have enjoyed visiting with you!
    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a precious room! It turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! What a wonderful room! My room was pink and yellow when I was little too!

    : )

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Perfect for a "big" girl room. You did a wonderful job on the hand painted details.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Maggie - what a sweet, sweet room! I love everything about it. Especially all the hand painted designs on the walls. You did a fabulous job. Thank you for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie! I love your lil "Bugs" room...especially all the ADORABLE butterflies. :) You did such a fabulous job and I am thrilled that we have connected in blogland. ;) Hugs! Tara
    http://sassyinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails