If you're a work, leave work, buy the ingredients and make the fudge.
You won't regret it. I promise.
I've been making this for at least 10 years or so, and every year anyone eats it, their eyes roll back into their heads and they can't believe how good it is. (Have I built it up enough yet???)
Here is what you need:
- 1 package semi-sweet bakers chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 box jell-o chocolate instant pudding (4 serving size)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Microwave 4 of the chocolate squares, 6 Tbs. of butter and the water in a large microwave bowl on 50% power 2 minutes; stir and repeat until butter and chocolate are melted.
- Add dry pudding mix; stir until well blended.
- Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, stirring until well blended after each addition. (The 1 cup at a time is important, don't just dump the 3 cups in at once... you'll ruin the fudge and I won't be held responsible for your disappointment.)
- Press mixture into foil-lined 8-inch square pan.
- Microwave remaining 4 chocolate squares and 2 tablespoons butter in large microwaveable bowl on 50% power for 1 minute; stir, and repeat 'till melted.
- Spread over pudding mixture.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 48 (1 inch) squares. I find it easy to pull the fudge out of the pan by the foil lining, then remove the foil and slice with a warm knife.
- Take a few pieces into a nice quiet place... maybe by the Christmas tree and enjoy. Thought it might not be a good idea to try it before you share it - you might no longer want to give any away. (it is for this reason that I always make a double batch.)