Thursday, March 5, 2009

Beauty in the eye of a 5 year old

My daughter Bug is a girly girl. For about the past 2-3 years all she will wear is dresses. All dresses all the time. For Kindergarten this year she's had to wear a uniform, navy on top, khaki on the bottom. It has majorly cramped her girly girl style.

Thankfully the school is flexible and they can wear ANY navy top and khaki bottom, even those with patterns and other colors - as long as the majority is the right color, they are good. Talk about a creative mission - finding pretty girly girl clothes in navy and khaki. It's gone better than I had expected.

A couple of weeks ago a friend sent me this pattern to make a dress out of a tee-shirt, and I knew instantly my first project would be a new outfit for Bug to wear to school.

I got my tee shirt and fabric and was all ready to go. Then my sewing machine died. And a host of other things went wrong.

Including the dress.

I was really depressed over how it turned out, so not like the picture in my mind. Bug found the dress and proclaimed it the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. She's been begging to wear it all week. At first, I was a bit embarrassed by it - but then I realized that it does not matter what the dress looked like in my mind. Katie didn't know what that dress looked like, she only knows what THIS dress looked like.

So she wore it today - proud as a peacock. I still plan to remake the dress with my new sewing machine and the lessons of what went wrong with this one. And you better believe I'll post pictures of the "better" dress.

For now, this is what Bug thinks the most beautiful dress in the world looks like:
Wrinkles and all she loves it. And static-uncombed-hair and all... I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails