So, I decided to freshen them up with what I already have on hand, some paint and beadboard wall paper. Here is the before:
Here are the materials I used:
- Paint (left over from the Bookcase)
- Beadboard wallpaper (also left over from the bookcase)
- Spray paint (left over from the clipart rail)
Next up - Painting the absolutely awful hardware... I'm pretty pleased with my solution for getting the screws painted... I simply screwed them into a left over 1x2".
And here is the after for the hardware, this turned out to be the most amazing part of the transformation for me.
Next up - painting the doors and drawer fronts - here is where I messed up, I lightly sanded everything, but I should have done a MUCH more thorough job AND I should have primed. As I moved onto really painting... the paint didn't want to stick. But with persistent painting, sanding, painting, sanding... it finally took and worked out well.
The doors after wall paper and painting:
And here is everything put back together:
Total cost for the makeover: $0!!! Everything was left over from previous projects.
And the best part - as we're thinking about painting our kitchen cabinets, this was the perfect project to learn about what we were really facing.