Monday, February 15, 2010

3 Cream and Black Boxes

So yesterday we went over the tea dying to make sure we had 3 Cream and Black Boxes instead of 3 White and Black Boxes. That was critical to me... I'm a freak.

The boxes started like this:
 

Knowing exactly what I wanted to do with them prior to having all the materials I went ahead and started... so there is no pure materials shot for this one. 
Here is the list:
  • Paper Mache Boxes
  • Spray paint 
  • Fabric
  • Spray Adhesive
  • Scissors
I sprayed the bottom of the boxes black and the top cream... not knowing how long it would take to find that perfect fabric.

Thankfully, it took just a few days.

 

I started by selecting which pattern would go with which top, and decided to use the biggest pattern on the biggest top, the mid size pattern on the middle size and the smallest on the little one. Seemed to make sense that way.
 
 
The process for these was very similar to what I did for the toile photo boxes. With the exception that I didn't wrap the fabric all the way around and under the box top, the fit of these boxes was just too snug. I was worried if I went all the way around, I'd never the the tops on, or back off.
So I just brought the fabric to the edge and trimmed it.

 
  

I did get a close up of how the method for the corners really produces such a clean edge.
 
 
And here are the finished cream and black boxes.
 

They are exactly what I wanted.

10 comments:

  1. I love how they turned out! I'm really loving the black & white look lately.

    Don't forget to check out Talented Tuesday tomorrow on my blog to post the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. So glad to have found you. I have a bunch of boxes that I was thinking of covering and your how to is great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those came out great! Thanks for linking up. :) Adding you to my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are fabulous!! I just love them. I need to do something like this to add to my mantle. This would be a cheap way to add some demension. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice job. Where did you get the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Carmie -

    The boxes came from Micheals as a set of 3. I'm thinking of collecting a few more so I can change the look just by changing the tops and then finding another use for the bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so good! I love the fabric and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice tutorial! What an easy way to coordinate with the decor of the room. Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails