Sunday, August 8, 2010

Accent Bead Wine Glass Charms

I'm so excited to be able to share these!!! I made them as a gift for my girlfriend Andrea's 35th birthday. The problem was they were having a surprise party for her so I couldn't really post about them here for 2 reason, I didn't want her knowing about the party or the gift.

Usually, I'm really bad at birthday's. If I do remember to buy the gift, I usually forget to send it.

I saw an article forever ago, at least 5-6 years ago on how to make these and have always wanted to.

Here are materials you need:

  • Wire hoop assortment
  • Simple glass beads, the really tiny ones
  • Spacer beads
  • Accent beads - have as many accent beads as you want to have finished wine glass charms
  • Crimp tubes
  • Beading tools, though you could get by with a pair of household wire cutters, and a pair of pliers.
For each individual  wine charm - here is what your supplies will look like:

Step one: Slide a crimp tube onto the wire hoop, do not crimp the tube, allow it to slide around the wire as you work.


Step 2: Count out the number of accent beads you want to start with and put them in a small container. This is much easier than counting them out as you string them. You can see I've got 13 beads here:


Step 3: Dip the blunt end of the of the wire into the container holding the beads and tread the beads onto the wire. I found this much easier than trying to pick up a bead with my fingers and then thread it onto the wire.


Step 4: When you are out of beads in your container, you've got your predetermined number on the wire.


Step 5: Add a spacer bead.


Step 6: Add the accent bead.


Step 7: String 5-8 small glass bead so that the wire under the accent bead is covered. This is optional but I found it to be a nice touch.


Step 8: Add another spacer bead.


Step 9: Count out the same number of small glass beads that you started with and string them onto the wire.


Step 10: Add the final crimp tube to the wire.


Step 11: With everything on the wire, determine where you'd like to crimp your tubes, either to allow movement around the wire, or tight so everything stays as you designed it. Then crimp the tubes.


Step 12: Hold the blunt end of the wire and turn it up at a 90° angle.



Step 13: Trim the bent end of the wire to about 1/8th of an inch.


And that is it - you've got your first wine glass charm:


Repeat the steps over and over 'till you've got the number of charms you want in your "set."




I found these favor containers that I knew would make the perfect gift boxes for these:



I cannot tell you how much I loved working on these, I'm seriously addicted, the funny part - I don't even drink wine... But anyone in my life to does, better bet on these as a Christmas/Birthday gift at some point because I can't stop.

I'll share some other ideas soon.

9 comments:

  1. Fun post, Maggie! Really, though... who needs wine? I love to serve iced tea or lemonade in stemmed glasses, and I've found wine charms to be a great way to keep everyone's drinks separated. I say make some for yourself -- and enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cute! thanks for sharing. (visiting from motivate me monday)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Lovely and colourful, and what a perfect box for them!
    I'd love if you linked up to my new party - A Round Tuit, at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/2010/08/round-tuit-9.html

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I love them. That would make a perfect hostess gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on Made By You Monday. I'm getting ready to make a ton of these for party favors. Great Tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you add some personalized touch to your wine glasses then a wine glass charm is perfect for it. Some of your old jewelries or accessories could be a good wine glass charms but you need to know how to make them fancy once you put it in a wine glasses. These are also good procedure that you can consider.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails