Thursday, August 26, 2010

Generally Speaking: Our house lacks history...

Don't get me wrong, I really love our house. But we live in a relatively new town. It's been on the map since 1792, but wasn't really developed until the last 20-40 years. Virtually every single house in the town was built in the last 40 years.

In Northern Virginia if you want a house more than 100 years old you've got to really live in one of this historic areas and pay quite a high price for it.

It hasn't really bothered me, I actually enjoying getting to write the history of our house. I don't have any guilt when it comes to doing things around the house. I'm not damaging any history.

But over the weekend, we visited friends who just purchased a house built in 1908. I didn't snap near enough pictures of but these are just a few of the details that really took my breath away.

The Floors:


Paneling in the foyer.

Eves and window in the 3rd level windows.

I wish you could see the paneling on this door.  

3rd level stairway.


So now I'm on a bit of a quest, to add a bit more history to our house. I'm seeing a lot more visits to antique stores in my future. 

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! I love the doorknob in the foyer picture. The detail in old houses is amazing. Our home was built in 1902 and still has a few details like that but unfortunately a lot of the original character has been lost through remodeling that previous owners have done. We've been trying to bring some of the old character back. I just wish that when you bought a house it came with photos of what it looked like when it was built and the transitions that it has been through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty house! When we bought land two years ago, I was hoping we'd end up in an old farmhouse. Unfortunately, the ones we could afford weren't livable and the fixed-up ones were very pricy. Guess I'll adopt your attitude and be happy living the history for our 1960s ranch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails