Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jewelry Display

Last week someone asked a question about how to store Jewelry and I realized, I needed a way to not only store, but to display my favorite pieces.

Here is what I created:

Materials:


  • Picture Frame, or materials to create your own (tutorial included below.) If you are creating your own, you'll also need a miter box/saw, wood glue, corner brackets and spackle/joint compound.
  • Mesh, either wire or other material. I went with wire.
  • Ribbon
  • Staple Gun
  • Scissors
  • Jewelry
  • Grommets would be awesome - and I plan to add them at some point. But I wanted to create this for as little as possible.
By now you may have realized I love working with reclaimed/recycled materials. So rather than buy a new frame, I decided to use the reclaimed molding I had left over from the Café Shelves I made this spring. I was pretty giddy about getting to use a left over reclaimed material...


First I cut 4 lengths of the molding on our compound miter saw:





I then assembled the frame using wood glue and staples. Yes, I said staples. Ok - I was in a rush and I thought they would hold. I'm going to pull out the parenting line, do as I say, not as I do... you should totally use corner brackets but I only had 3 in our tool box and I was NOT running out to buy anything else for this project. So staples and wood glue it was.


Fill the corners with spackle or joint compound:



Once the joints have dried and been sanded, paint the frame:


Once you've got all the paint on... you can take some off if you like by distressing in the method of your choice.


Next, cut a piece of wire mesh to the dimensions of your opening plus about an inch and a half all the way around and fold the edges up over the straight edge. Folding it is option, but it will keep you from finding any pointy wires as you handle this in the future.



Then with the pointy wires facing your frame, staple the mesh to the back of the frame.


Next you'll want to position your ribbon on the back of the frame and staple it into place. I like stapling with the ribbon down, that way when it is pulled up, you get a more finished look than seeing the raw staples... of course I've got them all over attaching the mesh to the frame, why that isn't a problem I have no idea. I'm strange that way I guess.




All that is left to do is to hang your jewelry display and pull that jewelry out of the jewelry box and feature it!

You'll note in the photos, I cut 2 small squares to allow me to hook a necklace and some bracelets to the wire. This is where the grommets would have been awesome, they would have totally finished it off.

The Leaning option, in case you don't have a hook handy... or you have to wait an hour for the 3M hook to cure and you're impatient like me.



5 comments:

  1. OOO! its pretty! Much better than mine! Will have to update it now that you have, once again, inspired me!
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a neat idea! Create storage and wall art. Visiting from Get Your Craft On.
    ~Kimberlee
    www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love that! And it is so pretty hanging on your wall too. Thank you for linking this up Maggie. :) It just made my day to see it was from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea-I saw something similiar to it at the salvation army several weeks ago for $3 and didn't buy it-I've been kicking myself ever since. With your instructions I can make one I like even better with one of my own frames-thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails