Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Some Dreams...

Ok - so I'll be the first to admit, this project is a bit on the mushy side. But it is for our master bedroom and if there is any room in the house where you shouldn't be afraid to go mushy, it is the bedroom.

I wanted a sign to go over our bed. Something romantic, but not overly so. Lets face it - we aren't really the romantic type. We went to Disney on our honeymoon...

Being ever budget "aware" and desperate to reduce some of the "junk" we've accumulated over the years, I decided to just grab some of the scrap wood we have in the garage. The only issue, it was already stained, nothing some sandpaper couldn't handle.



Ta-daaaah



Next up: Paint.  I picked 3 colors, a brown for the base, cream for the 2nd coat and a soft green as the top coat.






And here is where I stopped taking pictures. I'm still getting the hang of this...

But I can talk about what came next. I wanted the sign to have age, character... so I roughed it up a bit prior to adding the words. Then, I printed out my quote to use as a reference for my lettering. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.



Here is a close up of the detail:


You may wonder why there are 2 pieces of wood, having not done this before, I wasn't sure how it would turn out. Figured it was easier to make 2 as I went along than to start over if I messed up along the way. As luck would have it, I got it right the first time. So now I've got a roughed up green/cream/brown piece of wood and nothing to do with it.








3 comments:

  1. This turned out great! Don't you love it when you can create something fabulous out of stuff you already have? I'm planning on trying my hand at sign-making soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so GREAT!!!! I love it!

    And after seeing your pictures, I realize I MUST have saw horses!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails